Starting this weekend, Mechanist Games’ new browser MMO City of Steam is going into the first of its public beta windows. Well, ‘public’ being a fickle word because you’ll need an access key. Of course, we’ve got your hook-up below!
I had an opportunity a few months ago to try out City of Steam before its Alpha test period and I look forward to trying the newer beta version out. Set in an elaborate post-steampunk fantasy world, the game looks and feels a lot like older Fallout games, or the spiritual spin-off Arcanum. Entirely mouse-driven and browser-based, you don’t need a Facebook account to access the game and it’s admittedly pretty epic in what it offers. On top of that…
Key Features Include:
- Character and Weapon Customization – Weapon appearance changes when modded
- Branching Storylines – Choose the path your story will take
- Lightweight – No massive download or install required
- Full Featured – Content you’d expect from a AAA MMO, but all easily accessed from a browser
- Beautiful graphics and scenery
- 10 races, 4 classes, with more on the way
- Content for casual and hardcore gamers alike
1. After getting your Beta key, head to the City of Steam website here .
2. Register an account (or sign in if you already have one), copy/paste your Beta Key, click the register/sign-in button, then click on the ‘Play Now’ button and test out City of Steam’s Closed Beta release (or if the test is not yet up, your key will be safely activated and ready for when the game goes live).
The Closed Beta Test will run through 4 periods: Nov. 16-20, Nov. 30-Dec. 4, Dec. 14-18 and Dec. 23-28, starting on Fridays (except for the last test, which runs from Saturday to the following Friday) at 19:00 PST (22:00 EST) and lasting until Tuesdays at 00:00 PST (03:00 EST). Keep your key in a safe place if you’ve received one early. Beta starts soon!
Each Beta season will be chock full of events and activities that will give players a chance to win cool swag and in-game extras. This is still a Closed Beta version, so be sure to help out the developers by reporting bugs on the forum and getting involved with the community. City of Steam strives on community-driven development from input from players like you!
If you would like to support the development further and get some cool extras at the same time, head to the Support Us section of the website.
Note: One account can only activate one single Beta key code.