Dragon’s Prophet, which was announced at SOE Live in October has been opened for beta signups for a little over a week now and we have to assume that they’re getting a lot of interest in the game based on the reactions from SOE Live and various articles and discussions around the web.
So what’s the deal with this game, anyway?
Dragon’s Prophet is the next in the line of games which fall under Sony Online Entertainment’s new “free to play” model. Under this model, all of their games will be free…free to get, free to play, no subscription fees. What they offer is an extensive store of “sidegrade” items and, so far, bonus XP and resources for those who choose to become subscribers.
That’s crazy sexy!
Dragon’s Prophet includes a bunch of really nice features, including an all new way to customize your character – by capturing and training dragons.
Here’s how that works: The skills a player has at any one time will be determined by which dragon they currently have at their side. The skills a dragon has are apparently randomly generated (we assume that means at the time of capture) and will imbue the player with different skills, some of which are passive and others which must be activated and may or may not cost energy. All players will start the game with a dragon and all players will be able to start capturing new dragons straight from the start – a feat which is accomplished by hopping on and breaking it, wild-horse style.
Then there’s the housing system. This housing system will not be an “instanced” houseing system, whereby players walk through a magical portal and are teleported to their house, which nobody else can see, or walk on to a farm which is shared by all of the players in the game and has no life to it. On the contrary, players will be able to claim plots of land and build homes there, which are fully customizeable with the ability to move, place and resize items in their home at will. That may be the sexiest gaming news I’ve heard in years.
And then I learned about the “Frontier System”…
The frontier system gives ambitious guild leader a chance to build an empire by forming alliances with other guilds and capturing PVP enabled islands which have fortresses on them. Once you attack and conquer an island, you can begin construction on it. From there, if another guild wants it, they have to come and take it…and you can build guard stations to beef up security. It is important to note that personal houses and property can not be destroyed and there are houseing islands with limited PVP for those who don’t want to have to fight people off of their doorstep.
And that’s where I started to piddle in mah panties…This sounds like the game I’ve been waiting for since Asheron’s Call.
Here’s a list of some of the features which have been annouced so far:
- Dragons Everywhere – In a world shaped by dragon-kind, more than 300 unique dragons roam the lands. Fight, capture, train and ride them in order to unlock their unique skills and abilities.
- Action-Based Combat System – Dragon’s Prophet uses a unique auto-target and combo system to give players more realistic battle action gameplay. This system gives players a higher degree of control with a wider range of tactical options than traditional MMOs.
- Beautiful Immersive World – Players are transported to the breathtaking world of Auratia, which is filled with amazingly detailed landscapes. Mysteries, challenges and monsters await as players fight for their survival and that of the entire realm.
- Extensive Housing System – Let your imagination and expectations run wild. Players have complete control to construct epic structures that defy imagination. Let the decorating begin!
- Frontier System – Guild leaders rejoice! With this large-scale construction system, players have the ability to build their ultimate kingdom. By empowering your citizens and constructing a powerful military, true leaders will be able to create and sustain their very own empire!
- Unique Player Classes – In Dragon’s Prophet you can choose from four unique player classes to begin your journey into Auratia. Whether you like getting in close, popping an arrow into a dragon’s eye or blasting a group of goblins with ranged DPS, there is something for you!
- Your Dragon Destiny – The dragons you choose to capture shape your character and, ultimately, your fate. Will you be a legendary tank or a famous healer? Do you lead the charge or let your dragons bear the brunt of the fighting? Training the right dragons is the difference between life and death!
- Revolutionary MMO Meets Free to Play – Enter the world of Auratia for free and immerse yourself in the world where Dragons abound. Obtain loot through gameplay or enter the marketplace to make purchases via Station Cash™ SOE’s virtual currency. How you play or whether you pay is up to you.
So get your asses over to dragonsprophetthegame.com and sign up for the beta. If this game is half as amazing as it sounds, it’ll be WELL worth it!