I’d like to think that my review of Ghostbusters: Paranormal Blast had something to do with the most recent update released on Wednesday. XMG Studio Inc., the wonderful studio who developed my favorite portable Ghostbuster game, has finally done some justice to the coolest franchise ever.
One of the few disappointments of Ghostbusters: Paranormal Blast experienced was the generic sound effects and music. It made the game feel illegitamate; like they didn’t get Sony’s stamp of approval. Even though Ghostbusters received a decent review score from us, I had little desire to go back. The gameplay, while fun, didn’t really captivate me. That is until the update.
So, what’s new?
- Stay Puft’s back! It wouldn’t be a Ghostbuster game with out the big old mallow. If you remember from the first movie, Stay Puft was destroyed. Keeping with official canon, Stay Puft seems to appear in a paranormal rift; as if to try and break into our dimension. Brilliant!
- Earn bigger bonuses! Battling waves of ghouls gets you more cash to upgrade your gear. It’s a nice little reward.
- iOS 6 Ready! Personally, I don’t notice a difference since I’m on an iPad. But for all of you iPhone 5 users, enjoy that screen estate update!
- AUTHENTIC SOUNDS! Don’t ask me why it took a little over a month to implement the original sounds, but they’re here. From the Ecto-1 siren, to the beautiful electronic zap of the neutrona wand – this update is what ghost heads have been waiting for.
- Gamplay and Difficulty. While I haven’t seen much that made me go, “Whoa, that’s different”, there have been subtle tweaks. One example is the camera zooming when you throw the trap. Now I can’t be too sure if that was originally like that, but it’s something I immediately noticed. There is also
What can you say? (Well, other than it should have been this way from the beginning.) If this shows anything, it says that XMG Studio is dedicated to their games and want to keep their customers happy. What can I say? I look forward to the next update!