Twitter started 5 years ago as “twttr” and Jack Dorsey (founder) sent out the first tweet. Today Twitter is one of the largest social networks in the world that makes communicating fast, easy and short. News is even broke through Twitter before it hits, the TV or news websites, it’s very powerful stuff. Today Twitter wrote a cool blog post with some interesting data.
- 3 years, 2 months and 1 day. The time it took from the first Tweet to the billionth Tweet.
- 1 week. The time it now takes for users to send a billion Tweets.
- 50 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, one year ago.
- 140 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, in the last month.
- 177 million. Tweets sent on March 11, 2011.
- 456. Tweets per second (TPS) when Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 (a record at that time).
- 6,939. Current TPS record, set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New Year’s Day.
- 572,000. Number of new accounts created on March 12, 2011.
- 460,000. Average number of new accounts per day over the last month.
- 182%. Increase in number of mobile users over the past year.
- 8. 29. 130. 350. 400. Number of Twitter employees in Jan 2008, Jan 2009, Jan 2010, Jan 2011 and today.
I’m going to add one.
9. Traffic rank for all websites worldwide. (more than CNN or Fox News)